Audience: For Ancient History teachers of any level of experience.
This course concentrates on part 2 of the Ancient History core: The nature of sources and evidence. Participants will be provided with a portfolio of copyright free sources to use in their classroom.
The course will examine the wealth of sources available for all the aspects of life in Pompeii and Herculaneum listed in the syllabus. As well as providing strategies for investigating the types of sources available, we will also demonstrate a simple but effective scaffold for your students to use to analyse, evaluate and choose the best sources to use. This process can also be used when studying the other parts of the core.
- Higher Order Thinking and the HSC
- Templates for Force Field Analysis
- Task: Complete a Force Field Analysis (FFA)
- What is the HSC Core all about?
- Task: Intent of Ancient History Core
- The Nature of Sources and Evidence
- Analysing and Evaluating Sources - Some Useful Tools
- Task: Analyse and Evaluate Tools
- Sources and Evidence for the Eruption
- Task: Using Random Selector
- Lotus Diagram - Template
- Buildings as Sources and Evidence
- Task: Ancient History Core Activity
- Research and Resource Library - The Eruption
- What made up the Economies of the Cities of Vesuvius
- Task: Economies of the Cities of Vesuvius
- Commerce in the Forum
- Task: Types of Commercial Activities in the Forum
- The Business Elite of the Cities of Vesuvius
- Task: Interpretations of the Evidence
- Task: Evidence of Agriculture
- Artisans and Industry
- Venn Diagram Template Download
- Task: Evidence of Artisans and Industry
- Trading and the Ports
- Task: Evidence of Trade in Pompeii and Herculaneum
- The Economic Role of Women and Slaves
- Evidence of Brothels in Pompeii
- Shops and Buildings
- Consider All Factors (CAF) - A Thinking Tool From De Bono's CoRT Thinking
- Fulleries - Case Study
- Pistrinas - Case Study
- Thermopolia - Case Study
- Task: Shops and Buildings Case Study
- Research and Resource Library - The Economy
- Who were the Social and Political Groups?
- Task: What if Romans Didn't Have Slavery?
- An Introduction to the Roman Political System
- Task: Roman Government Vocabulary Builder
- Task: The Women of Pompeii and Herculaneum - What We Know and Don't Know
- Politics in Pompeii
- Task: Social and Political Groups
- The Forum in Pompeii
- Task: Political Buildings of the Pompeii Forum
- Politics and the Forum in Herculaneum
- Task: Political Life in Herculaneum
- Different Interpretations of the Evidence - Case Studies
- Task: Problems with Interpreting the Evidence
- Research and Resource Library - Social and Political Life
- Task: Problematic Knowledge - Houses
- Water Supply and Sanitation
- Mind Map - Use of Water in Pompeii and Herculeum
- Task: Use of Water in Pompeii and Herculeum
- Task: Health of the People in the Cities of Vesuvius
- The Thermae
- Task: What happened at the Thermae?
- Other Leisure Pursuits
- Task: Leisure in the Cities of Vesuvius
- Daily Life: Food and Clothing
- Task: My Best Guess Task - Food and Clothing
- Research and Resource Library - Everyday Life
- State Religion and Public Worship
- Task: Religions and Temples
- Private Worship, Death and Burial
- Task: Private Worship, Death and Burial
- Foreign Cults
- Task: Foreign Cults - 5 Why Task
- The Influence of Greece and Egypt
- Task: Influence of Greece and Egypt - Placemat
- Research and Resource Library - Religion and the Influence of Greek and Egyptian Culture
About the instructors
Sabreena has been a successful consultant with TTA since 2008. Her current roles include providing tailored professional learning and consultancy services in Instructional Practices Inventories (IPI - student cognitive engagement and higher order thinking), strategic planning, school evaluation, change management, classroom practice, ICT and History. In 2015 Sabreena travelled to the United States to train with IPI developer, Professor Emeritus Dr Jerry Valentine of the University of Missouri and is now the only certified teacher trainer for IPIs in the Asia-Pacific region.
Sabreena is the Professional Learning Consultant- History/Civics and Citizenship as part of the quality assurance team at TTA. Sabreena has presented at both State and National conferences on topics such as user engagement in workplace online learning, augmented reality and using data in schools including Instructional Practices Inventories.
Sabreena’s career in education has been varied, contributing at local, regional and State levels. In her 32 years in education, Sabreena has been a head of History, regional Quality Teaching Consultant and Professional Learning and Leadership Coordinator with the Education Department of New South Wales.
Sabreena’s work has included developing online learning, the implementation of the Australian Curriculum and designing and delivering a wide range of courses registered with the NSW Institute of Teachers. Her most recent role was as School Planning and Performance Advisor in the Learning, High Performance and Accountability directorate developing online solutions for effective school planning, monitoring, evaluation and reporting.
Sabreena has been able to feed her passion for all things History through forming networks of History teachers, Ancient History HSC marking, developing ICT History resources and, of course, travel. Sabreena has also been Head judge during the standards setting process for the Ancient History HSC.
30 years teaching Ancient History, Modern History, Extension History, History (7-10), Geography (7-9), Society and Culture etc in NSW state schools.
Quality Teaching consultant (History 7-12) in North Coast RegionHSC marker in Ancient History and History Extension.
NSW Premier's Teachers Scholarship recipient - Modern History (2003)
2014 HSC Examination Committee Member - Ancient History